Book Sale

Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Your Wealth Is Not For You

 


I knew a researcher once who was studying the long-term effects of daycare. In their research, as they told me, they found that the earlier parents put their kids in childcare, the earlier those children as adults would put their parents in aged care.

What goes around, comes around, right.

I have read research that shows that day care for more than a few hours a week is known to cause long term behavioural and emotional issues. Researchers have known this for decades, and yet the data was actively suppressed, because it went against the narrative of equal work for men and women being good for society.

We have all seen how predators are running rampant through day care at numbers people are so shocked to hear about, that they compartmentalize it and ignore it, because it is too frightening. But Australian state governments have been in the process of tightening laws because they are aware of how widespread the issue is.

And I have observed that most of this information will wash over many parents for a few reasons:

1)     They might literally have no other choice, because of their situation.

2)     They might feel like they have no other choice, even though they do, they just are not capable of seeing it.

3)     Daycare centres are so common and so much a part of our culture that herd mentality just causes people to use them without really thinking deeply about it. This is common behaviour for humans, even though just a generation or two ago we thought differently on this issue, behaviours can become accepted as the norm very quickly.

4)    The idea that "my kid is the exception" causes people to ignore the data. But the data does not say some kids do well in daycare, it says all kids suffer behavioural and emotional issues after a certain amount of hours. Your kids might handle that better than others, but the environment is not the best place for kids, even if it is a well done daycare.

5)     The idea of restructuring your life around avoiding daycare is so hard to consider, that even giving the idea time to think about is just not possible for many people. Life is already hard enough as it is, right?

I feel for those who would prefer not to use daycare but have no other choice. I understand the financial trap many are in. I get it. Older generations have handed you a pretty broken economy and society. I think we older Australians, which I am quickly getting toward being one, have a responsibility to seek to recreate a society where people are not forced into this position, as much as possible. As I get older, I think much more about the legacy I will leave my children and their children, than anything else.

A righteous man's wealth is meant to be to the benefit of his children's children, not himself.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment