Book Sale

Sunday 30 October 2022

Staying Alive Or Living?

Image: Unsplash

Being alive and living are not the same thing. They overlap, of course, but they are not the same. If the Covid years taught us anything, it is that people are so weighed down by fear, by the thought of dying, that they'll happily give up on being living just to be alive another day. 

People will happily allow themselves to be locked away, thinking it's for their good. 

People will shun family, thinking it is for their good. 

Dying people will keep their kids or grandkids at a distance, because they are afraid of getting sick. 

People are locking down, hiding out, avoiding people to stay alive. But they aren't living. If you are a Christian you should not be like this. Christ came that we might live and live abundantly. We are supposed to not just be alive, but know that we are living. Enjoying life, getting the best out of it. 

I'm not talking about having big homes, fancy cars, expensive clothes, and elaborate overseas trips. I'm talking being there in the moment with your wife, your kids and your friends. Enjoying God and the nature God created, the good gifts he's given you, and bringing others in on the joy. Really living. 

I had one friend tell me his dad said they should not hug, because of fear, during the crazy Covid years. My friend told his dad to grow up. His dad hugged him and was OK. 

One lady I know, an older lady, refused to give up hugs during covid, because she believes hugs bring a tiny amount of spiritual healing to everyone she hugs. I can't fault her position, can you? 

We only get so many moments in this life. Why aim for more, when we can aim for using the ones we have better, squeezing out of them the experiences of joy and fellowship we can. Better is more than more, if more is used unwisely. 

I don't want to just be alive, I want to live. Just being alive without living, is really just a different kind of death, bringing countless more little deaths to those you around. 

Live, and enjoy life:

"4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" (Phil. 4:4-9). 

God truly wants you to get the most out of life, according to his way of course. 

In my final moments (God willing far away in my life), I want more of everyone God has given me around me. Not less. Even if it somehow gives me a little less time. The chances of it doing so are so slim, anyway. But to enjoy the family, children and joy that God gives through this, is a big part of what life is about. To shun it, is to have already given up on living just to be alive. What a sad way to be? That's not for this guy. I hope it's not for you too. 




No comments:

Post a Comment