Book Sale

Tuesday 4 October 2022

Our Only Hope

Image: Unsplash


One of my best friends died a couple of weeks ago. He was not very old, a bit older than me, but not that old. 

He was still full of life, and had much to look forward to in life. He did not want to die, but nor was he afraid of death. Why? Because of this:

"17 Now when Jesus came, he found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb four days. 18 Bethany was near Jerusalem, about two miles off, 19 and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother. 20 So when Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, but Mary remained seated in the house. 21 Martha said to Jesus, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you.” 23 Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again.” 24 Martha said to him, “I know that he will rise again in the resurrection on the last day.” 25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?” 27 She said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world" (John 11:17-27). 

Like Martha, my friend believed this, and because of this he had hope. 

God doesn't always work how we want. He doesn't always answer our prayers as we see fit. He doesn't heal our loved one's every time. But he does offer us hope, an eternal hope, the hope of resurrection. The hope of all that is wrong in this life being set right in a new and better world. Where we experience a new and better life. 

This world is sometimes cruel, dark and filled with loss. But it also has much good; loved ones, family, friends and so many things God has given to us to bring us joy. 

We will face loss in this life. We will face hardship. But we who believe will also receive hope and reward for that hope. "Do you believe this?"

Because for those who do, our losses are only temporary, the one who is the resurrection and the life is on our side. And like my friend, I thank God for the peace this gives us. 

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die."

No comments:

Post a Comment